Friday, September 2, 2011

The Makings Of A 1950s Child--Why I Have So Many Stories by Sharon Craver

My guest today is aspiring writer Sharon Craver, known to many as Doc Nani. Doc's endearing term comes from working many years in the medical world combined with her loving grandchildren running to her to make all their hurts better. Sharon will take you back to the 1950s-60s and share glimpses of her childhood and teen years, and show how this melded her into the woman she is today.


A Few Questions for Doc:


You list on your blog that you’ve received the Powerful Woman Write Award. Can you tell us about it and were you surprised to receive it?

The Power Woman Award was given to me by a fellow blogger, Tara Tyler. I was surprised because I wrote the blog mainly for myself as a way to blow steam or act silly when I wanted to.

Can you tell us some about your work in the medical field, particularly running Life Squad? Have any work related experiences inspired any stories?

I have been in the medical field for over forty years. I work at an Ambulatory Surgery Center as the medical record coordinator. I ran life squad for over fifteen years and it provided me the opportunity to meet a wide variety of people. There were scary moments and funny moments, and all were very rewarding. And yes there are a few of my writings that are not published as yet that the experience working in the medical field has played into.

If you can become any book/TV/movie character for a day, who would you like to be and why?

I would have to pick Lucille Ball. I loved her zaniness, intellect, and character. She was the actress who everyone loved. Not only was she a comedian, but an excellent actress in any role she was in, whether serious and comedic roles. I myself was in some comedic situations at one time or another, although I didn't think so at the time. I have a lot of stories to tell!  
Courtesy of Google Images
WHY I HAVE SO MANY STORIES
A child of the 50s and 60s, I had a very funny and happy childhood. I was born in a small town in Ohio and when I was about eight and a half we moved to Saginaw, Michigan as Dad had a job with General Motors there. We lived there in the “mitt” area for almost eight years. There were now nine kids. Dad, an ex-marine, was not Catholic, yet he had us kids baptized into the faith and we went to a parochial school.

Both my parents worked. Since I was the oldest they counted on me to watch the kids, keep them fed, and out of trouble. But it was us older ones who got into mischief. I guess you could say I was the leader and all the other kids that I hung out with were my followers. I sure did have a crowd that would go where I went and do what I asked. We never got into big or bad trouble… just annoying type trouble. If anyone ever saw the movie “Trouble with Angels”...my dad said that movie didn’t hold a candle to what I did, not that I ever thought my actions were bad, mean or wrong. Then again, that’s the workings of a fourteen-year-old mind.

I started making up stories to keep the kids occupied and get the smaller ones to sleep. Around the time I went into the eighth grade I started to write my thoughts down. Although I no longer have those written testimonials of my teenage years, those ideas didn’t go away. As I grew older and became a mom, I went back to telling my kids stories. Again I was just making them up as I went along. I was always an avid reader. I read all of Laura Ingalls Wilder and that of her daughter Rose Wilder Lane. But then I started to read Victoria Holt, Phillipa Carr (Victoria Holt’s other name) and it is when I started reading Barbara Cartland, that I so immersed myself into the book that I actually thought I was part of the book. I was so enthralled by her writings that I couldn’t get enough of them. The Regency time era was fascinating. And they were really scoundrels too. Heroes and heroines all within a hand held book.

I started to put my thoughts into words on paper and before I knew it I had enough to write a book, although I didn’t realize it at the time. That would come much later. I had friends that when I would tell them something that really happened to me or someone I knew, they would tell me “Sharon, you should write a book”. But I didn’t feel as though it was time to write a book. I was happy with just putting my thoughts on paper.

I wrote my first book and submitted it in. It came back for “minor editing.” I did what editing I thought it needed and resubmitted again. So far I haven’t heard anything. I don’t get antsy about not hearing anything (that comes again with being raised Catholic /military... “Patience is a virtue”) so I just go about my every day things I have to do and I write in the evenings late at night. To me that is when I start to wind down and my thoughts start flowing.


Courtesy Google Images

I have a secret crush—well, maybe not so secret any more—or should I say adoration towards Tom Selleck. He is the ultimate package and the best darn cowboy since the Duke. I molded my muse after him. Yes, my muse is a guy, and he can be testy at times. But when I hear that nagging little voice a picture of Tom Selleck comes to light and it’s all right from that point on. I have two other books done that I am in the editing stage with and another one about a fourth of the way done.

I am an open book. If you have any questions just ask.

~*~Sharon would enjoy sharing reminiscences about your past and how it has shaped you and your profession today~*~

Author's Bio:

I am a mom, grandmother, sister,and I love to read and I am a fan of Debbie Macomber and Barbara Cartland books.I am a romantic at heart. I am a very new , novice writer. And I believe that at some point in time I will get published. Want to know more about me? Just ask me. You can find me on the following:


5 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    I didn't know any of this - I'm so happy to learn more about you! What a wonderful and fascinating live you have led and still do! :)

    You were the oldest and can see how all the responsibility of taking care of your younger sibs helped form you into the wonderful person you are now. You are so caring and nurturing.

    I'm looking forward to your books being published.

    Hugs & Blessings,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that I'm a Tom Selleck fan too. He's great in Blue Bloods and everything else he's been in...past and present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Diane for the favorable post and as I said Tom Selleck is the ultimate cowboy package.!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks heaps, Sharon--Doc--for being my guest on Everyone's Story this past week. I hope everyone enjoyed learning about your past and has been as inspired as I have been.

    ♥ Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,
    Thanks for all the love you give, and all the things you do. You are an inspiration to all who know and love you.

    Always, "Your Twisted Sister" ...mp

    ReplyDelete

Add This